Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:53:59 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ian Whitlock <WHITLOI1@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      Re: referencing sas views in sql vs data step
Comments: To: Nick <nick_s_downie@HOTMAIL.COM>

Nick,

Don't make problems for your self. If you don't want, don't get it. For your example use

proc sql; create view vindex as select * ,99 as number from index ( drop = number ) ; quit;

IanWhitlock@westat.com

-----Original Message----- From: Nick [mailto:nick_s_downie@HOTMAIL.COM] Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 12:39 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: referencing sas views in sql vs data step

Hi, hope u can help - I basically want to create a view of a large dataset but also to overwrite one of its variables. I know a view holds as many columns as you define, and that these can be called the same name, and I know that when this is read into sql it is dealt with differently than datastep, but how can i create a view that will ensure a consistent approach, ie value always overwritten regardless of where the view is used?

thanks

In this case d/set one is altered by two is not. Also NB i need to use select * as the source dataset contains > 100 variables, and this may be liable to change.

Test code below..

data index; input var1 $ number; cards; A 2 B 3 C 4 D 9 ; run;

proc sql; create view vindex as select * ,99 as number from index; quit;

data one; set vindex; run;

proc sql; create table two as select * from vindex; quit;