Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2002, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Feb 2002 04:53:11 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Andrew Bushmakin <abushmakin@ARGOSE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Speeding up Analyses on PCs

Brian,

For me the biggest jump in speed (at least 5 times) was when I emulated HD in RAM (I use SperSpeed Software for this)

Next step just redirect WORK directory to this disk: 1) Find file Sasv8.cfg 2) Find line -WORK "C:\SAS\SAS Temporary Files\" 3) Change it to -WORK "N:\" (Assume that it is the RAM Drive)

My configuration now 1GB HD in Ram and 512MB for OS works for me.

Andrew

BMitche3@EESUS.JNJ.COM (Mitchell, Brian [EESUS]) wrote in message news:<B62C798CD6ECD511BE8300805F85AE9838868E@eesusciexs4.eesus.jnj.com>... > We're looking at upgrading our PCs in order to > speed up processing (both sorting/merging and statistical > analysis) of larger datasets (several million obs). > Any thoughts on where to spend the $$$ most effectively? > Memory or CPU/motherboard? Our current machines > are IBM Pentium 667/933 Mhz with 128/256 Mb RAM. TIA > > Brian Mitchell, > Sr. SAS Programmer > Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. > > > Note: This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipients(s) > > above and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If > > you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the > > sender at (513) 337-3337 and delete this e-mail message from your > > computer. Note that if you are not an addressee, any disclosure, copying, > > distributing, or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. Thank > > you. > > > > > > > > --