Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:58:04 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Cohen,Diane" <dc42@EXCHANGE1.DREXEL.EDU>
Subject:      Re: New computer - THANKS!
Comments: To: Mark Casazza <Mark.Casazza@domino1.cuny.edu>

Thanks to everyone who responded so rapidly! With the details you all provided, I was able to contact Dell to tell them precisely what I needed. Diane

-----Original Message----- From: Mark Casazza [mailto:Mark.Casazza@mail.cuny.edu] Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 1:09 PM To: SPSS Listserv; Cohen,Diane Subject: RE: New computer

Hi Diane,

CUNY bought me a new computer when I came back late last year. It is a Dell 1.7Mhz P4 with 512MB of RAM. I haven't had any specific output problems with it, but I do know that SPSS is an EXTREME resource hog when it comes to graphic output. As Hector said, just about any current machine should work, but I'd up his recommendation on the RAM to at least 512MB (besides, RAM isn't that expensive right now).

One other thing you might want to consider with your output is to "print" to Adobe Acrobat (Distiller) rather than to a hardware printer. This would convert all of your output to PDF format (which is much smaller). The PDF file could then be sent to the hardware printer for paper output. Your printer may not have the memory to accept the giant SPSS SPO files and that could be causing your problems. The full version of Acrobat on the New York State contract cost us about $20 per user. Your institution might have a similar arrangement.

Mark V. Casazza Director of Academic Information The City University of New York 555 W. 57th St. 16th Floor New York, NY 10019

phone: 212.541.0396 fax: 212.541.0392 email: Mark.Casazza@mail.cuny.edu

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Cohen,Diane Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 12:01 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: New computer

I have a most remarkable situation: I need to make a requisition to our purchasing department for the kind of computer I need to do the kind of work I do without the numerous breakdowns I currently experience (i.e., most recently, loss of the second half of a twenty-five paged output report, with explanatory text inserted into each title). My problem: I have no idea of what to recommend as I do not 'do' computers, I only use them. I do mostly SPSS analyses and write reports. We are a "word" shop. I am affiliated with a university, and believe I may be limited to purchasing some kind of Dell. Can anyone make suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Diane