Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:23:45 -0800
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Judy Butler <jabutler66@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Use of the string function "Index" with parenthesis
Comments:   To: Staffan Lindberg <staffan.lindberg@fhi.se>

Try putting quotes around the parantheses bracket. compute cntycode = index(county, "(").

It *should* work.

Later, Judy --- Staffan Lindberg <staffan.lindberg@fhi.se> wrote: > Hi listers ! > > I have a file of counties with a string variable > containing both the county > name and the county code (within parenthesis). I.e: > > Stockholm (0180) > Malmoe (1280) > . > . > . > . > and so on > > I would like to extract the numeric the county code > as a separate numeric > variable. Obviously I cannot use the substring > command alone as the position > of the first digit in the string varies. > > I tried to use the string function INDEX as an > intermediary step. The syntax > is INDEX(haystack,needle). As I understand it the > "needle" can be any > character in the string (=haystack). > > In this case I would search for the first > occurence/position of a left > paranthesis and add 1 to get the starting position > for later use with the > SUBSTRING command > > However, when I try a parenthesis as a "needle" I > get the error that the > parentheses do not match, which of course is true. > Is it possible to somehow > change every occurence of parentheses in the string > variable to some other > character that can be used as a 'needle" ? > > Or maybe there is a simpler solution to this problem > ? > > Thankful for any suggestions > > best > > Staffan Lindberg > National Institute of Public health > Sweden

===== ****************************************** Check out the latest pictures of Emily at http://www.users.qwest.net/~bcj5 ******************************************