Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (March 2002)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:58:49 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Raynald Levesque <rlevesque@videotron.ca>
Subject:      Re: Can Raynald or anybody help ?
Comments: cc: Staffan Lindberg <staffan.lindberg@fhi.se>

Hi

this kind of problem is easier to solve when one has the data file available.

There is nothing wrong with the ".". at the end of the WRITE command.

The first 3 characters (".") are there to add a period at the end of each ADD VALUE LABEL command in the temp.sps file. The last . is the command terminator of the WRITE command.

One possible problem is if your variable kommun has quotes in it. This would confuse the syntax, if you data have single quotes in it,then in the syntax, use the variable quot='"' instead of quot="'". If this is not the problem, you could email me a portion of the file and the actual portion of your syntax and I will find a solution.

Regards

Raynald Levesque rlevesque@videotron.ca Visit my SPSS Pages http://pages.infinit.net/rlevesqu/index.htm

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Staffan Lindberg Sent: March 18, 2002 8:14 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SV: Can Raynald or anybody help ?

Thank you Raynald and Bjarte for your input. Redefining LAB2 to (A60), I got the closing quote when looking at TEMP.SPS. However, the concluding period is missing for each Add Value Labels-line and the result only show labels up to 9 characters in the Variable View. This also holds true for Raynalds second solution.

I'm beginning to suspect the Write Outfile-line with its 2 periods at the end. Could they complicate things ? The TEMP.SPS-file now contains all the correct labels but misses the concluding period. Can it be that absence of the period truncates the labels or some such thing ?

thanks and all the best

Staffan Lindberg National Institute of Public Health Sweden

-----Ursprungligt meddelande----- Från: Raynald Levesque [mailto:rlevesque@videotron.ca] Skickat: den 16 mars 2002 02:00 Till: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Ämne: Re: Can Raynald or anybody help ?

Hi

Note that LAB2 is defined as a string of length 17 (A17). After the Line COMPUTE LAB2=CONCAT(QUOT,kommun,QUOT). LAB2 will NOT contain the ending quote if the length of kommun exceed 15.

2 solutions are possible: 1) increase dimension of LAB2 to 60 (this is the max length of a label accepted by SPSS) 2) use COMPUTE LAB2=CONCAT(QUOT,SUBSTR(LTRIM(kommun),1,15),QUOT).

Let me know if this does not solve it.

Regards

Raynald Levesque rlevesque@videotron.ca Visit my SPSS Pages http://pages.infinit.net/rlevesqu/index.htm

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Staffan Lindberg Sent: March 15, 2002 8:47 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Can Raynald or anybody help ?

Hi !

I am applying Raynalds syntax "Apply lab1 as value label to var1 by syntax.sps" to two variables of mine, county code and county name. The syntax runs but the value labels only contain the first 9 characters of of the name. Checking the file "temp.sps" shows that the last apostroph for the labels are missing.

The output shows:

Warning # 208 on line 4551 in column 35. Text: Upplands >A text string is not correctly enclosed in quotation marks on the command >line. Literals may not be continued across command lines without the use >of the continuation symbol '+'.

My syntax (pinched from Raynald of course) is:

GET FILE='C:\SLASK\KOMMUNTOT1.SAV'. AGGREGATE /OUTFILE=* /BREAK=kkod /kommun = FIRST(kommun) . STRING QUOT(A1). COMPUTE QUOT="'". STRING LAB2 (A17). COMPUTE LAB2=CONCAT(QUOT,kommun,QUOT). WRITE OUTFILE 'C:\SLASK\TEMP.SPS' /"ADD VALUE LABELS kkod " kkod " " lab2 ".". EXECUTE. GET FILE='c:\slask\kommuntot1.sav'. INCLUDE 'TEMP.SPS'.

I've compared this syntax with Raynalds numerous times but can't see any significant difference. Probably I can't see the wood because of too many trees. Can Raynald or anybody help ?