Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (March 2002)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Mar 2002 15:23:58 -0300
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar>
Subject:      Re: A Really Stupid Question . . .
Comments: To: "Geraldine R. Henderson" <drgerri@attglobal.net>

Geraldine, just be literal: ""reference category =2" means the reference category is the one which is coded 2, i.e. "Low" in Factor A and "Absent" in Factor B. The effect of a High level of Factor A, and the effect of Factor B being Present is measured as a difference against the effect of A=Low and the effect of B absent, respectivaly. Comparing level 1 to level 2 means comparing the group coded 1 to the group coded 2 for whichever factor the phrase is applied to.

Hector Maletta Universidad del Salvador Buenos Aires, Argentina

"Geraldine R. Henderson" wrote: > > Okay, I have been away from Statistical Analysis for a while, back when > we ran SAS on a mainframe. Anyway, I am trying to figure out how SPSS > (10.1 for Windows) operates. I am trying to run planned simple > contrasts in MANOVA on two factors that had a significant interaction. > Each of the two factors has only two levels. Factor A is coded such > that the true value "high" is coded as "1" and the true value "low" is > coded as "2." Likewise, Factor B is coded such that the true value > "present" is coded as "1" and absent is coded as "2." > > So here is my really stupid question: > When my SPSS simple contrast on Factor A output tells me the the > "reference category =2" which I assume is the last category, how do I > know if the reference category is "high" or "low?" In addition, when it > tells me that it is comparing "Level 1" vs. "Level 2," which is which? > "Present" or "Absent?" How does it assign which level is which? Is it > based on order of data entry, ordinal value even for nominal data? > > I have tried books, calling SPSS (Statistician will call me back by EOD > Monday), AnswerNet, etc. I know that this is a really stupid > question, but I can't seem to find the answer. > > Will someone out there help me once you stop laughing at the idiocy of > my message? > > Thanks, Gerri.