Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (March 2002)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:31:39 +1200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Peter Gardiner <PeterG@nzier.org.nz>
Subject:      Looking for a better way

Hi,

I currently look after a business opinion survey (around 650 respondents quarterly, with 50 odd questions). At present all the data entry, checking, storage of the unit record data and summary statistic calculations are performed in Access 97, then the summary statistics are exported to excel to compile charts and tables. There are obvious problems with this approach, but none more so than an inability to perform any meaningful analysis on the data. I also have a lack of confidence in many of the access queries that are used to check and manipulate the data because they are build on one another and are difficult to audit.

My point is, I am considering changing to SPSS. Specifically, using Access to enter the data store the unit record data, then use SPSS for data checking, manipulation and computation of summary statistics.

I would like to here views from people who have had experience with this sort of thing. What traps there are for new players. Would it be better to enter and check data in SPSS? Do other database packages (eg paradox) interact with SPSS better. Issues that you have had to resolve.

Thanks in advance, Peter