Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (March 2002)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:03:04 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Patricia Cleland <Patricia.Cleland@eqao.com>
Subject:      Re: more effecient  IF statements-THANKS

Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial query, especially Jon Fry, Daniel Sharp, Lawrence Hotchkiss and Zachary Feinstein who suggested that adding the board id via match files would be more efficient. It worked beautifully.

Thanks,

Pat

-----Original Message----- From: Patricia Cleland [mailto:Patricia.Cleland@eqao.com] Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 8:59 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: more effecient IF statements

I've adapted Raynald's syntax that adds a label to a value so that it produces a file that computes the school board identifier for each school . (For example, IF (schmiden= 78) brdmiden =66036. ) The problem is that there are more than 5,000 public and private elementary schools in the province of Ontario and so I have more than 5,000 IF statements. Running them takes about 1 sec per 100 cases. Since I have 140,000 cases ( one case per student per grade) in my data file, it takes about 20 minutes to run all the cases. Unfortunately the school id's were assigned alphabetically so there is no relation between school id and board id that I can use. Does anyone have a suggestion for a more efficient way to do this?

Thanks,

Pat

-------------------------------------------------------------- Patricia Cleland, Assessment Officer, Data and Operations Unit, Education Quality and Accountability Office Suite 1200, 2 Carlton Street, Toronto, Ontario M5B 2M9

phone:416-314-7950 fax: 416-325-6622 email: patricia.cleland@eqao.com