Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:32:30 +0100
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   F a b r i z i o <Fabrizio1@USA.NET>
Subject:   Re: is 12:00 AM noon or midnight ?

Peter Crawford wrote in message ... > >When was any AM/PM standard for noon and midnight introduced ? >

Basic rule:

Since any time starting like 12:nn during the night, is called AM, the associated hour value of 12:00 midnight is also called AM or ANTE MERIDIEM (Before noon).

Since any time starting like 12:nn during the day, is called PM, the associated hour value of 12:00 noon is also called PM or POST MERIDIEM (After noon; literally, 12:00 PM therefore is a tail biter)

Wether this is a historical decision or just common sense, I'm not sure. I was taught this somewhere back in the sixties.

HTH?

Brgds; Fabrizio