Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:42:07 +0100
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Peter Crawford <peter.crawford@DB.COM>
Subject:      CEDA (was...Antwort: (MAR) RE: Transferring VAX data set to the
              PC when a VAX is unavailable)
Comments: To: Michael Raithel <RAITHEM@WESTAT.COM>

Hi Michael I was very disappointed to discover that CEDA des not support v8 datasets they way that SASSFIO supports v6 sas data. Many assurances from customer support suggested I only needed to set certain options to ensure the data were created well enough to be read on other platforms ....... (things I did not expect after reading the original documents on cross platform data access) ! Now recently I see that the SAS System Viewer (which shares the underlying basic sas file i/o routines with SASSFIO) does not support "Network Open" for v8 datasets >>>>>>>>> because SASSFIO does not support v8 datasets !!! This is documented in a sas usage note 3903. see: http://www.sas.com/service/techsup/unotes/SN/003/003903.html

So it seems that CEDA does not fully replace SASSFIO as we move data from v6.12 up to v8+ !!!

My disappointment is not enough to "move" SI Would you like to add your weight to the proposal that >>> SAS System Viewer should support "Network Open" of v8 data ?

Perhaps the friend of Charlie Schwartz would not need to start more than a SAS System Viewer session, to read the data if it is in v6 format. However v7+ releases are not supported

Extract from the SAS System Viewer Help " Files Supported by the SAS System Viewer The SAS System Viewer lets you view the following types of SAS files: Files supported by Viewer: Read Only 7.00 Data Sets created under the Windows environment (sas7bdat, sd7) 6.04 - 6.12 Data Sets (sd2, ssd, ssd0x, saseb$data) 6.06 - 6.12 Catalogs - Directory Information Only (sc2, sct, sct0x, saseb$catalog) 3.2.2 JMP® Data Sets - Macintosh and Windows (jmp) SAS Transport Files (stx, xpt) SAS Log Files (.lst, .lis) SAS List Files (.log) HTML Files (.html, .htm) Read and Write Enabled Comma Delimited Files (csv) Space Delimited Files (prn) Text Based Files (sas, dat, cfg) Note: SAS data sets, generated by Release 6.04 and later of the SAS System for Windows, OS/2, or DOS, can be up to 2 gigabytes in size. Data sets can be compressed, encrypted, indexed, or audited. Note that only data sets compressed by using the COMPRESS=YES or COMPRESS=CHAR data set options (ie RLE algorithm) are supported. Data sets compressed by using the COMPRESS=BINARY data set option (ie RDC algorithm) are not supported. Also note that the auxiliary files created to support indexing (ie .sas7bndx or .si2) or auditing ( ie .sas7baud) cannot be opened by the viewer.

Cross-platform Access: V6 data can be accessed via HTTP and FTP network protocols. Note: The SAS System Viewer cannot open SAS files created under the Digital UNIX platform.

Version 6.12 and Version 7 Cross-platform Files Supported: HP-UX INTEL ABI IBM AIX for RS/6000 MIPS ABI Solaris 2 OS/2 Microsoft Windows 95 and 98 Microsoft Windows NT (Intel versions) Open VMS Alpha

Version 6.12 Only Cross-platform Files Supported: Macintosh 68K PowerPC for Mac OS Data General UNIX Open VMS VAX SunOS 4

Version 7 Cross-platform Files NOT Supported: Digital UNIX (also not supported for V6 filetypes) OpenVMS VAX OSF Alpha MVS CMS "

Regards Peter Crawford