Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 May 2002 03:23:21 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Frank Thomas <frankThomasFt@netscape.net>
Subject:      Re: PPS Sampling
Comments: To: Seumas Rogan <seumasr@martynia.hrp.arizona.edu>

Seumas,

if you have so few cases, why don't you use the full sample instead of making a complicated sampling WITHIN A CITY ??

Good luck

Frank Thomas

>Hi everyone - > >I have a questions regarding sampling. My questions are theoretical >and practical, i.e., I need advice regarding statistical/sampling issues >and SPSS syntax to do what i need to do once i know what i want to do... > >I have visited Raynald's website (THANKS! Raynald); he has several scripts >that address what I want to do, but not exactly. I'm having trouble >extending what Raynald has to what I would like to do. > >I want to draw a sample of households within census blockgroups in my >city. I have the 2000 census data for these blockgroups. I want the sample >to be representative of the city population (or at least representative of >the population captured by the 2000 census). Since the census block groups >are not of equal size, i believe that probability proportional to size >sampling is the correct sampling approach. yes? > >The census block group is my PSU. I want to stratify the PSUs by region >within the city (10 classes), median income, percent Hispanic, median age >of housing (all continuous). Further, I want to 'oversample' certain PSU's >with minority populations, and within certain regions, to make sure that I >get sufficient sample size in my analyses. I understand that oversampling >will require the use of sampling weights in my analyses. > >Let's say that I want to draw 50 PSUs, and then randomly sample 25 >households within each PSU. Any advice on how to draw this sample in SPSS? >Any advice on good 'how to' texts on sampling in general? > >Thank you for any help/advice! > >SR > >sprogan@u.arizona.edu >

-- Dr. Frank Thomas FTR 34 rue Jean-Baptiste Pigalle 75009 Paris France

__________________________________________________________________ Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/