Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 May 2002 04:59:59 GMT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Pat Flickner <pflick@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: format and macros

William,

I hope I've read this correctly. It looks as though you're using the same format for the variable, so:

proc contents data=your_sas_dataset noprint out=test_contents (keep=name); run;

/* you can do a quick proc print here to see what you have, and then keep only the variables you want */ data _null_; set test_contents; where name in ('...'); retain cnt 0; cnt + 1; call symput ('varn'||left(cnt),trim(name)); call symput ('vmax',left(cnt)); run;

%macro spin; data your_sas_set; set your_sas_set; %do x = 1 %to &vmax; &&varn&x = put(&&varn&x,format.); %end;

...OR format %do x = 1 %to &vmax; &&var&x %end; format.;

run;

%mend spin;

%spin;

Is this what you were looking for?

Kind regards,

Pat Flickner

"William S. Kossack" <wskossack@attbi.com> wrote in message news:3CDC7BCB.D910A16E@attbi.com... > I'm trying to recode a large number of variables. > > My program would be simple if there were just a few variables. I > would first create the format with > proc format and then use an assignment statement like > > var = put(var,format.); > > However, with more than a hundred variables this is a pain. > > I've tried using my format inside a macro but I can't get it to work. > Any suggestions? > > -- > William Kossack > wskossack@attbi.com > >