Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Jun 2002 14:22:07 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Bouillon, Bernard" <BBouillon@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: Memory problems ?
Comments: To: "J. Bisson" <jbisson@aei.ca>

Hi,

VERSION 10.x

The information below applies to 10 and earlier versions of SPSS. For information on memory usage for version 11, please see Solution ID 100010067 and 100010068.

There are two parameters for memory usage for SPSS: MXMEMORY and WORKSPACE. MXMEMORY is the memory (both RAM and virtual memory) on a machine that is available to SPSS' use. The theoretical limit is 2097151 KB (i.e., a little over 2 GB), and most oftentimes the limit is much lower because it is the RAM and virtual memory on the machine. WORKSPACE is the smallest single block of memory that some procedures will take all at once. Not all procedures use WORKSPACE. See the end of this solution for a list of the commands that use WORKSPACE. WORKSPACE can never be more than MXMEMORY.

The default value for MXMEMORY is 14 MB (14336 kilobytes, to be exact), and for WORKSPACE is 512 KB. If you need to increase WORKSPACE to more than 14 MB, you'll need to increase MXMEMORY first.

To change MXMEMORY, you'll need to use the command SET. For example

SET MXMEMORY=28000.

will increase the MXMEMORY to 28 MB. (The number is in the unit of kilobytes, so 28 MB should be 28000. Also please type it as 28000, not 28,000.)

You may also use

SET WORKSPACE=28000.

to change the setting of WORKSPACE. Alternatively you may go to Edit->Options, and change the number under the General tab for Special Workspace Memory Limit.

You may always use the SHOW command to check what the current settings are for these two parameters:

SHOW MXMEMORY WORKSPACE.

The setting for WORKSPACE will persist to the next session of SPSS. The setting for MXMEMORY does not. Use the SET command again next time you open SPSS to increase it.

Please note that generally you don't need to change the settings for these two parameters. When you get error messages, change the setting for the one that is referenced by the error message. There are not any benchmarks for how much you should increase MXMEMORY or WORKPSACE. You might need to go through a trial and error process by increasing the appropriate settings gradually and rerunning the procedures.

The commands that use WORKSPACE include:

ADD FILES ADD VALUE LABELS ARIMA AREG CATPCA COXREG CREATE CROSSTABS CURVEFIT DISCRIMINANT DISPLAY EXPORT FACTOR FREQUENCIES GET IMPORT MATCH FILES MATRIX MEANS MULT-RESP MVA NLR OLAP CUBE RANK RELIABILITY RMV SAVE SORT SUMMARIZE SURVIVAL T-TEST VARIABLE LIST

VERSION 11.0

For the version 11.O, the software is now optimized to use as much memory as available. This means that if you receive error message, the problem remains directly on the PC hardware and OS and no more inside the SPSS domain. It depends also to the procedure you are running and in that case, for some procedure, don't hesitate to use the CACHE function is order to avoid problem after enlarging the WORKSPACE (in the options of SPSS).

I hope those informations could help. Best regards,

Bernard BOUILLON Software Technical Support Engineer SPSS Support

*+ 32 2 477 17 10 - + 32 2 474 03 60 **+ 32 486 03 99 74 7 + 32 2 474 03 63 * eursupport@spss.com bbouillon@spss.com

Corporate Website : www.showcasecorp.com www.spss.com Answernet : http://www.spss.com/tech/answer/index.cfm

Private Website : www.snba.be www.bbvde.be

-----Original Message----- From: J. Bisson [mailto:jbisson@aei.ca] Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 1:42 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Memory problems ?

Hello all.

Sorry, but this is a very technical question. I have SPSS for Windows, version 10.0.0, and it appears that I cannot open two relatively small output files (10 MB) at the same time. The second spo file will be all white, with most of the content not visible. I thought that adding more RAM to my system would correct the problem (I now have 256 MB of RAM), but it does not correct it. Also, adding more memory space through SPSS options does not seem to make a difference. Any clue ?

J. Bisson