Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:35:11 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Karen Olson <karen.olson@TCH.HARVARD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: efficiency expertise needed

What a difference a day makes. Maybe because I had to explain a couple of times what I was doing, I realized it was not a good idea to create 250 temp datasets with 44850 records when I only needed about 1000 records. I got rid of the extra records in the next step by processing the datasets one at a time, but it is better to get rid of them before I save each dataset in the first place. That, plus a couple other tips from people who went through some of my code cut the time down to about 5 minutes to create each final dataset. I have 62 and need 62 more and can anticipate getting them in my lifetime, so I can live with that. Like many people, I've too many things to do so I can work on other things while this runs.

I'll go through the more detailed code examples I got later. Mine was adapted from other similar projects which likely accounts for its unneeded features. But I'm sure there's more similar work to come, so the time will be well spent.

Thanks so much for all the help!

Karen Olson Children's Hospital Boston karen.olson@tch.harvard.edu