Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:14:19 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Dorfman, Paul" <Paul.Dorfman@BCBSFL.COM>
Subject:      Re: OS390 V8.2
Comments: To: Frank Ramage <frank@FRAMAGE.FREESERVE.CO.UK>

> From: Frank Ramage [mailto:frank@FRAMAGE.FREESERVE.CO.UK] > we recently installed v8.2 on our os390 mainframe. However > jobs which ran happily in v6.09 are now failing (in v8.2) due to space problems, > I have turned the fullstimer option on and found that we are > now using up to 3 times the amount of virtual memory. > > Has anybody else had this problem ?

Frank,

Yes, I have ecountered this phenomenon - in V8.2, the default real storage ('total memory' in terms of the FULLSTIMER lingo - I fail to recall it tells anything about the 'virual memory') is indeed greater than it was in V6.09 - usually about 8 Mb compared to about 3 Mb in V6.09. But given the miniscule nature of this magnitude in terms of today's hardware, it should not a problem per se...

> Has anybody a solution to this problem ?

If I recall correctly what happened during our transition, the good system folks had the MEMSIZE=8M option in the config file in V6.09. When V8 came along, they nonchalantly left it the same, and SAS jobs with memory demands exceeding those of

data _null_ ; run ;

started crashing. They bumped it up to memsize=15M, and the problem largely evaporated, except when I ran some of my programs trading execution time for memory. My cure has been to use my own config with Memsize=300M by default, overriding it with more at the invocation if necessary. For this and other reasons (most notably, the nonsensical setting of the default LRECL=6144 instead of 27648 for SAS libraries on 3390 DASD), I never use the default config anyway.

Note that in V8, the very character of SAS memory management has changed. If in v6, it was possible to have REGION=8M, but MEMSIZE=60M, and SAS would grab the extra memory by circumenting certain OS traffic cops, now in V8 the value of MEMSIZE= can be set only up to the REGION= size. With this change, the much hated 'NO MKLEs FOUND' abend has disappeared, at least from my experience - I have never seen it under V8.

Kind regards, ==================== Paul M. Dorfman Jacksonville, FL ====================

> > Thanks in advance. > > Frank >

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida, Inc., and its subsidiary and affiliate companies are not responsible for errors or omissions in this e-mail message. Any personal comments made in this e-mail do not reflect the views of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida, Inc.