Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:22:38 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Schulingkamp, Michael E" <michael.e.schulingkamp@LMCO.COM>
Subject:      Building lists from macro vars

I'm having trouble dynamically creating variable lists inside a macro. I have a program that creates a bunch of macro variables which hold the variables to use in a proc summary step based on selections from a users inputs. For example,

byvar1, byvar2, byvar3,...,byvar&i hold the variables for the BY line and var1, var2, var3,..., var&i hold the variables for the VAR line in the proc.

I want to do something like:

%macro sum ;

%do i=1 to 50 ; %if %mvarexists(&byvar&i) %then %let byvars = &byvars &byvar&i ; /**** if this is even possible ****/ %if %mvarexists(&var&i) %then %let vars = &vars &var&i ; %end;

proc summary; by &byvars ; var &vars ; output out=sumout sum= ; run;

%mend;

I've got the macro "mvarexists" written and working (thanks to the SAS-L archives!).

Thanks, Mike