Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:21:11 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         goldbergj@MSNOTES.WUSTL.EDU
Subject:      Re: Some Basics About Macro Variables

Jim Groeneveld <J.Groeneveld@ITGROUPS.COM> writes:

>A very important programming language with an associated macro language is >C[++]. The functionality of that macro language is greatly overlapping that >of the SAS macro language, but the emphasis is laying somewhat differently. >An important function is to control the compilation process, conditionally >skipping parts of code or not.

I think there is a crucial difference: the C++ preprocessor (the name is not an accident) has no hooks into runtime as the SAS macro language does.

Of course, this is a consequence of the different architecture. When a C++ program runs the compiler is long gone. But it results in a major difference in how the two facilities are used.

Jonathan Goldberg Missouri Alcoholism Research Center Washington University School of Medicine 40 N. Kingshighway, Suite One St. Louis, MO 63108 314-286-2212