Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:52:29 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ed Heaton <EdHeaton@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      Re: query: creating macro variables
Comments: To: Don Aya <donsas99@HOTMAIL.COM>

Don,

The following should do the trick. It creates a series of macro LET statements and then uses those statements to assign your macro variables.

Data x ; Input subject Y $ ; Cards ; 1 A 2 AB 3 ABC ; Proc sql /*noPrint*/ ; Select '%let subject' || /* Must use single-quotes here. */ trim( left( put(subject,5.) ) ) || "=" || trim(Y) || ";" into :lets from x ; Quit ; &lets

Ed

Edward Heaton, Senior Systems Analyst, Westat (An Employee-Owned Research Corporation), 1550 Research Boulevard, Room 2018, Rockville, MD 20850-3195 Voice: (301) 610-4818 Fax: (301) 294-3992 mailto:EdwardHeaton@westat.com http://www.westat.com

-----Original Message----- From: Don Aya [mailto:donsas99@HOTMAIL.COM] Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 5:47 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: query: creating macro variables

Hello SAS-Lers;

I have a macro question which I hope you can help. Suppose I have the following data set:

data x; input subject Y $; cards; 1 A 2 AB 3 ABC ; run

I want to creat macro variables for each subject such that &subject1 has 'A' &subject2 has 'AB' &subject3 has 'ABC'

I highly appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Don