Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:51:13 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Charles Patridge <Charles_S_Patridge@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject:      More on SAS LE

Charles,

Good questions, I appreciate being able to get this info out there. Please see my responses below.

- Bernard

-----Original Message----- From: Charles Patridge [mailto:CHARLES_S_PATRIDGE@prodigy.net] Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 12:15 PM To: Bernard Penney Cc: charles_s_patridge@prodigy.net Subject: More questions for SAS LE

Hello Bernard,

I came up with some more questions on SAS LE.

1. Will version 1.0 continue to have an expiration date of Dec 2006 no matter when it is sold? That is, if I bought another version of SAS LE a year from now, will the expiration date still have Dec 2006?

<< Version 1 of the SAS Learning Edition will always expire on Dec 31, 2006, regardless of the purchase date. This is to give customers about 4 years in which to use it without having to worry about renewals. It also makes sure we do not have old, obsolete, versions floating around out there. Sometime before 12/31/06 we will come out with a new version of the LE, which will be good for four years+ from that release date. >>

2. What will happen in Dec 2006 when SAS LE version 1.0 expires? Would I have to request / pay another $125.00 to have a new SETINIT mailed to me or would I have to go and buy another new version of SAS LE to get another 4 years of testing/learning SAS LE?

<< There are no renewals, so after 4 years, a customer would have to buy a new version, and get a much newer product! >>

3. Should I decide not to keep my current version of SAS LE (version 1.0), can I get a refund? What is the process of getting a refund, if any is allowed? Or, if I remove it from my PC, can I sell it to another person so that new person can install it on their PC?

<< According to the license agreement, you can always return the LE for a refund if you have not already fully installed it on your system. >>

I remember when I installed my version of SAS LE, there was no registration process to let SAS Institute know that I was the owner of XXXXXXXXXXX version of SAS LE.

I was thinking of raffling off my copy of SAS LE at our next HASUG meeting in August but I did not want to violate any copyrights of SAS nor did I want the new owner to experience any bad circumstances with SAS LE ownership rights.

<< Giving or raffling the LE should be fine >>

4. Do you anticipate any new enhancements to SAS LE to include all BASE SAS modules such as PROC Calendar, FORMS, PRINTTO, CIMPORT, CPORT, etc etc? If so, when? Also, it would be really nice to be able to open/view a SAS Dataset with Display Manager instead of using Enterprise Guide (for us current users of the full blown product of BASE SAS).

<< We will continue to develop and enhance the SAS Learning Edition. We will never include ALL of the Procs of Base SAS. (there are 450 of them!) It is not the intention of the Learning Edition to replace Base SAS. If a user needs all Procs, then they need to purchase full Base SAS. The Learning Edition is strictly a personal learning version of SAS. With that said, if there are additional individual Procs that would be useful for learning SAS then we will certainly consider including them in the next release. >>

Thanks for your response, Charles Patridge PDPC, Ltd. 172 Monce Road Burlington, CT 06013