Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Jul 2002 10:38:35 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Delaney, Kevin P." <khd8@CDC.GOV>
Subject:      FW: Tutorial: Using DDE to collate a number of RTF-files and/or W
              ord documents

Boy this Kilo Volt person, whoever s/he is, seems to know a lot about DDE....

;-)

-----Original Message----- From: Kilo Volt [mailto:dde_dude@HOTMAIL.COM] Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 10:01 AM Subject: Tutorial: Using DDE to collate a number of RTF-files and/or Word documents

LS,

In the ongoing series of cool DDE tricks, here's a tutorial on how to bundle a bunch of MS Word documents and/or RTF files into a single Word document. Why would one possibly want to do this? I've found it useful for the following reason: some of my longer SAS programs generate various bits and pieces of ODS RTF output. At the end of the day however, I'd like to have a single output document rather than squillions of separate chunks. The following assumes a local directory structure for in- and output files. Should you wish to run the tutorial, make sure to mimic these on your pc: c:\temp\append word docs\input c:\temp\append word docs\output

The output directory is initially empty. In the input directory, some .doc and/or .rtf files should be present. Just pick a few for testing purposes ... So here goes: %* First we define some macro variables pointing to the input and *; %* output directories, and one for the name of the output document.*; %let indir=c:\temp\append word docs\input; %let outdir=c:\temp\append word docs\output; %let outdocname=All in One; %* Furthermore, we reserve a macro variable for the number of eli- *; %* gible files found in the input directory. This will be computed *; %* later. *; %let nfiles=0; %* Then we scour the input directory for files of type .doc and *; %* .rtf. Any such filenames are stored in a small SAS data set *; %* WORK._FILENAMES *; filename indir "&indir"; data _filenames(keep=filename); length filename $ 200 ; did=dopen('indir'); do i=1 to dnum(did); filename=dread(did,i); if substr(left(reverse(upcase(filename))),1,4) in ('COD.','FTR.') then output; end; rcÜlose(did); run; filename indir clear; %* We store the number of such files in a macro variable NFILES. *; data _null_; call symput('nfiles',trim(left(put(nobs,3.)))); stop; set _filenames nobs=nobs; run; %* Start MS Word, and define a DDE doublet-style filename WORDSYS *; %* through which to send WordBasic commands. *; options noxsync noxwait xmin; filename wordsys dde 'winword|system' lreclP00; data _null_; length fid rc start stop time 8; fid=fopen('wordsys','s'); if (fid le 0) then do; rc=system('start winword'); startÚtetime(); stop=start+10; do while (fid le 0); fid=fopen('wordsys','s'); timeÚtetime(); if (time ge stop) then fid=1; end; end; rcülose(fid); run; %* Minimize the Word application. *; data _null_; file wordsys; put '[AppMinimize]'; run; %* Set the default directory to the output directory and save a *; %* new blank document there with the specified name. *; data _null_; file wordsys; put '[ChDefaultDir "' "&outdir" '",0]'; put '[FileNewDefault]'; put '[FileSaveAs.Name="' "&outdocname" '",.Format=0]'; run; %* A little macro to loop through the input documents and do stuff.*; %macro docloop; %local curr_filename file_num ;

%do file_num=1 %to &nfiles; %let curr_filename=; %* Dig up the name of the next input file from WORK._FILENAMES.*; data _null_; set _filenames; if _n_=&file_num then do; call symput('curr_filename',trim(left(filename))); end; run; %* Open it up, select all, copy, and close the input doc again.*; %* Then paste into the output document. *; data _null_; file wordsys; put '[ChDefaultDir "' "&indir" '",0]'; put '[FileOpen.Name="' "&curr_filename" '"]'; put '[EditSelectAll]'; put '[EditCopy]'; put '[FileClose 2]'; put '[EditPaste]'; run; %* If this was not the last input file to process, introduce a *; %* page break. *; %if &file_num ne &nfiles %then %do; data _null_; file wordsys; put '[InsertPara]'; put '[InsertPageBreak]'; run; %end; %end; %mend docloop; %docloop; %* Save the output file and close it. *; data _null_; file wordsys; put '[FileClose 1]'; run; To have the documents collated in a specific order, one might save various bits of ODS RTF output with cleverly chosen filenames, and a mere proc sort on the WORK._FILENAMES data set will do the trick. All this developed and tested on a Win2Kpro box with Office97 and SASv8.2 / SASv9.0 Kind Regards, kV.