Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 5 Dec 1995 02:13:06 -0800
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   goalie <goalie@interchange.ubc.ca>
Subject:   formatting strings into numerics

Dear Group,

I am trying to merge several files. To do this I need to format the widths of string variables so that they are all 255. I did the same to the numeric variables using Format all (F40.0).

Also I am trying to turn string variables into numeric variables. I have string id variables of the form 12-3456-7 and I would like to turn them into three variables of '12''3456''7'.

If you could also send your replies to goalie@interchange.ubc.ca it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks kindly, Liz