Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Aug 2002 05:31:16 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Marks, Jim" <jim.marks@lodgenet.com>
Subject:      Re: New menu pick: Analyze | Descriptive Statistics | Ratio

Steve and List:

RATIO STATISTICS is used to analyse ratio data. An example would be the Assessment to Sale Ratio (ASR) used in the field of property assessment. Analysis of the ASR is used to establish the overall quality of the assessment (how closely assessments fit sales) as well as equity across groups (e.g. no neighbourhood is over-assessed or under-assessed).

Median ASR's are often used in preference to mean ASR's since the median is more resistant to extreme values and small sample sizes. I haven't used the new functions-- I no longer work in property assessment-- but I can recall lots of manual calculations around median values and non-parametric testing of ASR's.

HTH

Jim Marks Market Analyst LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation 605.988.1616

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication (including any attached files) is intended for the entity to which it is directed and may contain confidential and proprietary information of LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation. The communication is provided under the terms of the nondisclosure agreement between LodgeNet and the intended recipient. If you are not acting solely on behalf of the intended recipient with respect to the receipt of this communication, you are not authorized to receive, retain, print or forward this communication. In that event, you are directed to destroy this communication (including any attached files), and to advise ipmanager@lodgenet.com that you received this communication in error. If you are authorized to receive this communication on behalf of the intended recipient, you are obligated to treat it as confidential and proprietary information of LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation, in accordance with the nondisclosure agreement mentioned above.

-----Original Message----- From: Simon, Steve, PhD [mailto:ssimon@cmh.edu] Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 6:19 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: New menu pick: Analyze | Descriptive Statistics | Ratio

In version 11 of SPSS, there is a new menu choice under Analyze | Descriptive Statistics. It is labeled Ratio, but I can't figure out what it does. I also can't find any description of it in my SPSS manuals. I can't figure out what it does based on the dialog box either.

It must be pretty simple if it is under Descriptive Statistics, but I hate to admit that I am stumped. Can anyone explain what the Ratio menu pick does?

Steve Simon, ssimon@cmh.edu, Standard Disclaimer. The STATS web page has moved to http://www.childrens-mercy.org/stats.