Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:10:00 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Nevseta, Floyd G" <Floyd.G.Nevseta@BANKOFAMERICA.COM>
Subject:      Re: How to find MAX value corresponding with time.
Comments: To: AT <tangtk@COLUMB31.DHEC.STATE.SC.US>

This response builds on Vanessa's post earlier. If you want to presort the data, put them in an order that you can easily select the correct obs. For each county you want the first occurrence of the maximum value. Well, sort it like this:

proc sort data=table1; by county descending value valuetime; run;

Then select your obs like this:

data table2; set table1; by county descending value valuetime; if first.county; run;

Regards, Floyd

-----Original Message----- From: AT [mailto:tangtk@COLUMB31.DHEC.STATE.SC.US] Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 5:09 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: How to find MAX value corresponding with time.

I have this dataset:

data Table1; format ValueTime time8.; infile cards; input County $ ValueTime time8. value; cards; Alpha 12:00:00 10 Alpha 12:01:00 15 Alpha 12:02:00 15 Beta 12:00:00 17 Beta 12:01:00 6 Beta 12:02:00 12 ; run;

I would like to have a query that returns the County, maximum value and the first time that value occurred

County MaxValue MinValueTime ------------------------------------ Alpha 15 12:01:00 Beta 17 12:00:00 . .

So far I have this and the query returns every date/time for a given County where the Value happens to be the maximum, when all I want is the first one.

proc sql noprint; create table max as SELECT County, max(Value) as MaxValue, ValueTime from table1 group by County; quit; run;

If there is a better way to work this out, PLMK. Any respones would be appreicated.

Allie