Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 3 Sep 2002 15:09:52 -0400
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   emaguin@acsu.buffalo.edu
Subject:   Error and warnings

All,

Can anyone point me to where the placement of error messages and warning messages is discussed?

Background: Until very recently, i had believed that errors and warnings appeared both the output and log files. Thus when running a large file with few changes, one could confidently check only the log file to find out if there were syntax, execution, or other types of errors/warnings. (The advantage to having error and warnings appear in both places is the log file is searchable while the output file is not.)

Furthermore, i expected things to work the same regardless of whether one ran in production mode or interactive mode. Now, however, i am unsure of how spss works with respect to these two points. I think that warings can appear in the output file but not in the log file. Why that would be so eludes me. But if warnings can appear in one place and not the other, what else doesn't work as expected.

Because this is an admittedly arcane and reasonably technical question, i hoping that someone from spss will come out and provide a clear explanation and rationale.

Thanks, Gene Maguin