Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:37:58 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Dale McLerran <stringplayer_2@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: missing values
Comments: To: Hollie Rich <hx97403@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hollie,

Of course, if you are writing the data out for some other application which does not recognize SAS missing value constructs, you must convert the data to something which the other app can recognize as a missing value. It is worth heeding the advice of those who suggest something like -99999999999, which will likely be far enough out in space that, were a person to forget that they needed to account for the missing values, then the results of any analysis would raise a big red flag indicating that something must be wrong in the data. We can be honest that one would have reason to write the data using some converted value but also be honest that folks do sometimes neglect to indicate the proper code for missing values for an application, and that it is wise to protect against such forgetfulness. Thus, the fully honest approach to this problem is to accept the advice which both Peter's offered. I think this is what all who have weighed in here with advice would support. Such advice is not offered with any malice.

BTW, what does the software MTDFREML allow you to do? From the name, I would conclude that it performs some REstricted Maximum Likelihood. As REML is available in a couple of SAS procedures (VARCOMP and MIXED), what else does MTDFREML do?

Dale

--- Hollie Rich <hx97403@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > Dear SAS-L, > > I need reorganize my data set to create new variable and get starting > values > with SAS and will use in different software. This software (MTDFREML) > does > not recognize "." as a missing value. -9, -99 and so and can be > defined as > missing value for this software. I believe that every researcher > knows what > is the honest way to make research and no one has right to give > advise on > this issue.

===== --------------------------------------- Dale McLerran Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center mailto: dmclerra@fhcrc.org Ph: (206) 667-2926 Fax: (206) 667-5977 ---------------------------------------