Date:         Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:40:18 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Fink, Steven" <sfink@spss.com>
Subject:      Sample vs Population

Recently, I've been asked by several analysts about analyzing populations, that is, data not from a sample.

The purpose of a statistical test is to make estimates about the population. If my data set IS the population, are significant tests appropriate?

What about if my response rate (survey/unit) is low, say 20%. For example, I sent surveys to everyone in the population, but only received 20% of responses. Does this change your answer to the first question?

Thanks

Steve