Date:         Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:37:46 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Alison Neustrom <alison@blueprintrd.com>
Subject:      Re: Sample vs Population

What would you say if you had 80% of a non-random sample of a population (I sent them to everyone but only got back 80%)? Would you consider that a sample or a population?

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Jelani Mandara Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 11:50 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Sample vs Population

Fink, Steven wrote:

>Recently, I've been asked by several analysts about analyzing populations, that is, data not from a sample. > >The purpose of a statistical test is to make estimates about the population. If my data set IS the population, are significant tests appropriate? > > > No. Descriptives and Effect Sizes are still relevant, but not inferential stats.

> > >What about if my response rate (survey/unit) is low, say 20%. For example, I sent surveys to everyone in the population, but only received 20% of responses. Does this change your answer to the first question? > > > >

Then you only have a (probably nonrandom) sample of the population. The logic of inferential stats applies.

>Thanks > > > >Steve > > >

-- Jelani Mandara Assistant Professor Human Development and Social Policy Northwestern University 2120 Campus Drive Evanston, Il 60208

Office Phone: (847)491-3122 Web Page: http://www.sesp.northwestern.edu/people/sp/j_mandara.html