Date:         Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:40:26 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mark Davenport <madavenp@OFFICE.UNCG.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Adjectives Commonly Associated with Correlation Coefficient
Comments: To: TSnider-Lotz@qwiz.com

Originally, I thought this thread was concentrating on reliability. As folks are apparently including the standard use product moment, might I suggest that those that haven't read Jacob Cohen's book on power analysis take a look at chapter 4. It offers a good discussion on effect sizes and gives what I believe is still the most respected criteria for small, medium, and large effects.

Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd). LEA. Chapter four runs from pp. 109 to 143.

Mark

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Mark A. Davenport Ph.D. Asst to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs/Research and Evaluation The University of North Carolina at Greensboro 149 Mossman Bldg. Greensboro, NC 27402-6170 336.334.5099 madavenp@office.uncg.edu

'An approximate answer to the right problem is worth a good deal more than an exact answer to an approximate problem' -- J. W. Tukey