Date:         Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:08:04 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Jeff A." <lists3@jp.pair.com>
Subject:      Honesty and Missing Income

...not directly a spss question, but this is likely quite relevant to many here.

Is anyone aware of any research that would suggest what the relationship is between the refusal to provide household income on a survey and the overall honesty of the respondent or the accuracy of their survey answers?

We have some analyses where there is a good deal of missing income measures. When we simply delete these cases our effect sizes increase, but our other analyses do not seem indicative of any real interactions between income and other variables on the outcome. In other words, if we use alternative measures of socio-economic status, or impute income using different techniques, we are finding no interactions of income with our other variables. A few other findings seem to suggest that the individuals in this particular survey who refuse to give their income may simply be providing other responses less accurately also.

...now wondering if there is any prior research that would support or refute our assumption. Maybe something in public opinion quarterly?

Thanks in advance.