Date:         Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:09:02 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Raynald Levesque <rlevesque@videotron.ca>
Subject:      Re: Adding Records/Cases...

Hi

See "Expand crosstab data into original data file.SPS" in the "Create" section of http://pages.infinit.net/rlevesqu/SampleSyntax.htm#ReadWriteOrCreateData

HTH

Raynald Levesque rlevesque@videotron.ca Visit my SPSS Pages http://pages.infinit.net/rlevesqu/index.htm

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Jeff A. Sent: October 13, 2002 3:19 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Adding Records/Cases...

I could figure out a very lengthy syntax file to do this, but I thought there should be an easier macro solution to this problem.

I have a data set with about 1000 records. About 10% of the records have a variable/flag which indicates that this particular record actually represents multiple records. E.g., if Flag = 1 and #Records = 3, then this case should really be 3 cases instead of one. In this case, I need to add 2 additional identical cases so that the total number is 3. For a number of reasons too lengthy to explain, I can't simply use the weight function. Also, there a large jumps between the number of records each case represents, e.g., most of the cases represent 1, some 2, some 3, but then a few 10 another 16, another 120, another 350.

Could someone point me in the correct direction?

Thanks in advance.