Date:         Mon, 14 Oct 2002 23:49:22 +0100
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Michael Kaliszer <kalis@eircom.net>
Subject:      my computer refuses to read a large file

Dear All

Let me expand on a problem I posted a few days ago. The file I'm now reading is not an spss file (which it was before) but a csv one, but the problem seems the same.

The file comprises 485,719 cases and 52 variables, i.e. 25,257,388 cells. In its csv format the file is c.210 mb. Reading this file on my old desktop computer running NT4 and spss 11.0 was no problem. It took c. 6 minutes. On my new laptop computer running w2000 and also spss 11.0 the file was swiftly read up to case 357,100, and then the reading stopped and a spss warning message appeared with the yellow '!' and it said: '2.71'. What can it mean? Furthermore using the 'ctrl end' keys I simply was not able to reach the end of the data editor, nor even using the vertical scroll bar which refused to go to the bottom. The physical and virtual memory on the laptop is well in excess of the old desktop computer, and all the relevant spss parameters to my knowledge, e.g. maxcells are the same on both computers. I am most mystified waht I am doing wrong. Any ideas? I'd be delighted to provide any more information.

Many thanks

Michael Kaliszer

69 Waterloo Lane Dublin 4 Ireland

Tel: +353 1 6689644