Date:         Tue, 15 Oct 2002 07:29:27 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Raynald Levesque <rlevesque@videotron.ca>
Subject:      Re: Selecting matching cases from two variables

Hi

This is one way: DATA LIST LIST /id data1 TO data4. BEGIN DATA 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 2 2 1 1 1 3 2 2 2 2 4 3 1 1 1 1

END DATA. LIST. SORT CASES BY id. SAVE OUTFILE='c:\temp\database.sav'.

DATA LIST LIST /id. BEGIN DATA 1 3 END DATA. LIST. SORT CASES BY id. SAVE OUTFILE='c:\temp\id to keep.sav'.

***** Start job. GET FILE='c:\temp\database.sav'.

MATCH FILES /FILE=* /TABLE='C:\Temp\id to keep.sav' /IN=keepcase /BY id.

* Next lines deletes unwanted cases. SELECT IF keepcase=1. * Delete the variable keepcase. MATCH FILES FILE=* /DROP=keepcase.

HTH

Raynald Levesque rlevesque@videotron.ca Visit my SPSS Pages http://pages.infinit.net/rlevesqu/index.htm

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of David Preen Sent: October 14, 2002 11:07 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Selecting matching cases from two variables

Hi,

I have a list of identification numbers and associated variables for approximately 3000 subjects. Some subjects have more than one line (i.e. same ID number appears but different associated variable data). I also have a list of approximately 600 subject ID numbers that also appear throughout the larger set (although not in any set order). The two subject ID lists are not matched up in rows. What I want to do is select only those subjects in the larger data set that also appear in the smaller data set. I assume that I will have to use ‘Select’ and choose the “If’ function, however I am unsure what to do after that. It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide me with the procedures required.

Kind regards, David