Date:         Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:29:40 +1000
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Frank Milthorpe <Frank.Milthorpe@TRANSPORT.NSW.GOV.AU>
Subject:      Re: Selecting matching cases from two variables
Comments: cc: davidp@DPH.UWA.EDU.AU

David

>I have a list of identification numbers and associated variables for >approximately 3000 subjects. Some subjects have more than one line (i.e. >same ID number appears but different associated variable data). I also have >a list of approximately 600 subject ID numbers that also appear throughout >the larger set (although not in any set order). The two subject ID lists >are not matched up in rows. What I want to do is select only those subjects >in the larger data set that also appear in the smaller data set. I assume >that I will have to use 'Select' and choose the "If' function, however I am >unsure what to do after that. It would be greatly appreciated if you could >provide me with the procedures required.

You need to read one list, sort it by ID and save it as a .sav file.

Read the second list, sort it by ID.

Then using MATCH FILES combine the two files.

With the MATCH FILES one of the files can be a lookup Table. Think of it as survey data. You may have multiple respondents from the one postcode and wish to combine socio-demographics of the area from a lookup table (separate spss .sav file). In the lookup table you need to have a single record for each postcode.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Frank Milthorpe ...

--- Frank Milthorpe, Transport Modelling Manager Transport Data Centre, NSW Department of Transport GPO Box 1620, Sydney NSW 2001, AUSTRALIA Ph: +61 2 9268 2937 Fax: +61 2 9268 2853 Email: frank.milthorpe@transport.nsw.gov.au

This message (including any attachments) is intended solely for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the NSW Department of Transport. The whole or parts of this e-mail may be subject to copyright of the Department or third parties. You should only re-transmit, distribute or use the material for commercial purposes if you are authorised to do so.

Visit us at: