Date:         Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:20:17 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Asesoría Bioestadística
              <bioestadistica@eresmas.net>
Subject:      Re: Q: How to get non-linear correlations?

Hi Jarod:

I Hope this helps:

"The Pearson product moment correlation coefficient r measures the degree of linear association between X and Y. In the event of nonlinear but monotonic relationships, a useful correlation coefficient is provided by the Spearman correlation coeffcient r_s, which is a Pearson type correlation computed on the ranks of X and Y, ranked separately..."

JD Jobson "Applied multivariate Data Analysis. Volume I: Regression and Experimental Design" pp 113. (Springer-Verlag, 1991)

Regards

Marta

(Sorry for the delay, my office was migrating from modem to cable-connection, and I was without Internet connection for several days. Now, I'm finally instaled in 21st century, at last!)

"Jarod_Russell, The_Pretender" ha escrito: