Date:         Wed, 2 Oct 2002 09:25:05 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Kurt Wilkening <WilkeningK@hillsboroughcounty.org>
Subject:      Test/Exam Item Analysis Reporting

For those who develop, administer, analyze test questions in a school or employment setting, do you have a syntax file that generates an Item Analysis report similar to the one attached?

I can't send an attachment along with this email for you to see, but I'm looking to generate a "discrimination index" for each response option to each question. The discrimination index is a measure of the ability of a test item response to discriminate between those individuals who attained a high score on the test and those who attained a low score. The formula for the discrimination index (DI) is as follows:

DI = (a - b) / c, where

DI = Discrimination Index a = Response frequency of the upper quartile b = Response frequency of the lower quartile c = Number of respondents in the upper quartile.

BTW, there used to be a white paper on this at the SPSS website, but I'm looking for an actual syntax file.

Regards,

Kurt Wilkening Personnel Research Manager Hillsborough County Civil Service Office 601 E. Kennedy Blvd., 17th Floor Tampa, Florida 33602 http://www.hccsb.org (813) 272-5625 x 33