Date:         Sat, 19 Oct 2002 16:18:49 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         R Cole <recole73@insightbb.com>
Subject:      New Variables from Factor Analysis

I recently completed a Factor Analysis on 25 Variables with 60 cases in the data set. Cronbach's alpha for the variables was greater than .75. The data was from a 5 response Likert scale in a survey. The results reduced to 7 factors. I am planning on using the new variables in a correlation matrix with 4 factors from another analysis. In the initial analysis, I used the SCORES > Save as Variables option to create then new variables for use in my correlation matrix (Regression Option). Everything seemed to run properly, and the new variables were created. However, I was advised to conduct a reliability analysis on the new variables (Cronbach's alpha). When I run the analysis on these scores I come up with all zeros for values in the reliability analysis.

I feel I am doing something fundamentally wrong. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks, Richard