Date:         Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:48:55 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Eduardo Faerstein <eduardof@umich.edu>
Subject:      how to calculate age-adjusted means & proportions with SPSS?

Dear list members,

I'm involved in analyses where my dependent variables are body mass index (BMI=kg/m2, a continuous variable) and obesity (presence of BMI > 30 kg/m2, a dichotomous variable). My independent variable of main interest is educational level (4 levels)

I would like to:

1. to present a) BMI means, and b) Prevalence (%) of obesity, adjusted for AGE (less educated participants are much older, and BMI and obesity increases with age)

2. to test for statistical significance of possible linear trends in these age-adjusted means and proportions across levels of education.

Can I obtain those estimates using the UNIVARIATE GENERAL LINEAR MODEL? How should I do that?

Thanks in advance for any assistance! Eduardo Faerstein Associate Professor, Rio