Date:         Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:12:25 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Frederic Villamayor <fvillamayor-research@ferrergrupo.com>
Subject:      Re: End-of-line: A tale of two modes: Interactive vs batch (aka
              produ ction)
Comments: To: "McGee, Magnus" <mam@hsru.abdn.ac.uk>

Magnus, I've faced with this problem and , yes, the solution was to truncate command lines. As a rule, I split command lines at convenience (but not in

the middle of a subcommand!) indenting 1 space all tn lines after the first. As for long strings, you can split them where you want, but you must end each line with a quote and a plus '+' symbol, and start next line

wit a quote. You can split by this methos a long string into as many lines

as you want. For example, it a file names is: "C:\My documents\Projects\XXXX\Data\Original\These are my data and the file name is very long.sav" you can split it as follows: "C:\My documents\Projects\XXXX\Data\Original\"+ "These are my data "+ "and the file name is very long.sav" HTH Frederic Villamayor Departamento de Toxicología C.I.D.F. GRUPO FERRER

"McGee, Magnus" <mam@hsru.abdn.ac.uk> Enviado por: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> 22.10.02 19:09 Por favor, responda a "McGee, Magnus"

Para: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU cc: Asunto": End-of-line: A tale of two modes: Interactive vs batch (aka produ ction)

Dear all,

I'm having difficulty in finding a clear answer to the following challenge.

- I have some syntax that works in interactive mode.

- The same syntax fails in batch.

I think the reason is that some lines are too long. - The lines contain filenames enclosed in quotes. - One solution is to use file references however I still need to know the answer to the original problem. )

Two questions:

1) How do you delimit a long line of syntax?

2) Will it still work in interactive mode?

TIA

Magnus McGee Senior Statistician Health Services Research Unit University of Aberdeen Foresterhill Aberdeen AB25 2ZD

Tel: 01224 559219 Fax: 01224 663087 mailto:magnus.mcgee@abdn.ac.uk http://www.abdn.ac.uk/hsru