Date:         Wed, 23 Oct 2002 00:30:47 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         John Hendrickx <john_hendrickx@yahoo.com>
Subject:      Re: End-of-line: A tale of two modes: Interactive vs batch (aka
              produ              ction)

In production mode syntax (batch) you have to start commands in the first column and indent continuation lines by at least one column. This syntax will also work fine in interactive mode.

Hope this helps, John Hendrickx

--- "McGee, Magnus" <mam@hsru.abdn.ac.uk> wrote: > Dear all, > > I'm having difficulty in finding a clear answer to the following > challenge. > > - I have some syntax that works in interactive mode. > > - The same syntax fails in batch. > > I think the reason is that some lines are too long. > - The lines contain filenames enclosed in quotes. > - One solution is to use file references however I still > need to know the answer to the original problem. ) > > Two questions: > > 1) How do you delimit a long line of syntax? > > 2) Will it still work in interactive mode? > > TIA > > M > > > Magnus McGee > Senior Statistician > Health Services Research Unit > University of Aberdeen > Foresterhill > Aberdeen > AB25 2ZD > > Tel: 01224 559219 > Fax: 01224 663087 > mailto:magnus.mcgee@abdn.ac.uk > http://www.abdn.ac.uk/hsru