Date:         Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:20:04 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Michael Bersick <mbersick@hotmail.com>
Subject:      carriage returns, text data

Hi all, A little while ago I posted a message re a macro I cobbled together which treated different subjects' files differently: while it worked for some, importing text data from log files starting at line 42, for others it seemed to start getting data at lines farther down in the file.

Raynald suggested that data were not all tab delimited and might also be space delimited, for example, but that is not the case. It turned out that some of the files, (all created by the same program) for some reason had extra carriage returns (not counted as such by Kedit, but counted as such by SPSS) in the header which made line 42 no longer the valid beginning of the data.

Is there an easy way to start reading in data starting at variable line #s, given that the first case should alway begin on the line with the variable TRIAL=3?

Thanks for any help. By now I am utterly dispirited. MB