Date:         Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:24:25 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Nichols, David" <nichols@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: Christian RE: ordered Probit or ordinal regression

SPSS can fit an ordered probit response model, beginning with Release 10, in the PLUM procedure, which is in the Advanced Models module. In the menus, select Analyze->Regression->Ordinal, and in the Options dialog box, choose Probit from the Link dropdown.

David Nichols Principal Support Statistician and Manager of Statistical Support SPSS Technical Support

Got a question for SPSS Technical Support? Try the AnswerNet at http://www.spss.com/tech/answer

-----Original Message----- From: Bautista Christian [mailto:cbautista@namrid.sld.pe] Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 2:02 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: [SPSSX-L] Christian RE: ordered Probit or ordinal regression

Hi Margaret,

I think that SPSS cannot do ordered Probit analysis. SPSS can do only one model for ordina Logistic regression but there are six ordinal regression models.

If you want to report OR (odds ratio) you have to use regression models, if not probit can be applied.

If you decide to apply logistic regression remember that these are these regression models for ordinal responses:

1. Cumulative logit model (proportions odds) 2. Continuation-ratio model 3. Partial-proportional odds model 4. Polytomous logistic model 5. Adjacent-category logistic model 6. Stereotype logistic model

Proportions odds or cumulative logit model is the most popular ordinal logistic model used and this is incorporated in SPSS, but you need to check the proportional odds assumption and this may be checked with the Score test. If this is violated you need to use partial-proportional odds model.

I have done similar analyses for one paper before using ordinal logistic regression.

Email me, if you think is neccesary.

Good luck,

/Christian ........................................................................... M.Christian Bautista Tejeda, MSc. Biostatistician - GIS Data analyst NAVAL MEDICAL RESEARCH CENTER (US.NMRCD) American Embassy Email: cbautista@namrid.sld.pe