Date:         Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:41:01 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Snider-Lotz, Tom" <TSnider-Lotz@qwiz.com>
Subject:      Reading multiple records per case from comma-delimited  file

On my current project the data comes to me in the form of comma-delimited TXT files with 8 lines per case. The format of each line is the same, including a variable that has values 1 to 8 to identify the line numbers. How do I read these files? I know how to do it with a DATA LIST statement for input files that are formatted with fixed columns, but this situation is new to me. So far, I've been using what I consider to be a workaround -- reading in the lines as separate cases, then using LAG to pull the values from lines 1 thru 7 into new variables on line 8, then selecting only the 8th lines. This works, but it's certainly inelegant. Thanks for any advice you might have. _______________________________

Thomas G. Snider-Lotz, Ph.D. Industrial Psychology

Qwiz, Inc.

1805 Old Alabama Road

Suite 150

Roswell, GA 30076