Date:         Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:09:15 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Marks, Jim" <jim.marks@lodgenet.com>
Subject:      Re: delete variables within syntax?

A helpful trick I picked up from a posting by Raynald Levesque:

ADD FILES FILE = * /DROP = var1 var11 var3. EXECUTE.

This can also be used with "/KEEP = varlist". It also allows you to reorder the file by changing the listing of variables, if you want.

HTH

Jim Marks Senior Market Analyst LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation 605.988.1616

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication (including any attached files) is intended for the entity to which it is directed and may contain confidential and proprietary information of LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation. The communication is provided under the terms of the nondisclosure agreement between LodgeNet and the intended recipient. If you are not acting solely on behalf of the intended recipient with respect to the receipt of this communication, you are not authorized to receive, retain, print or forward this communication. In that event, you are directed to destroy this communication (including any attached files), and to advise ipmanager@lodgenet.com that you received this communication in error. If you are authorized to receive this communication on behalf of the intended recipient, you are obligated to treat it as confidential and proprietary information of LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation, in accordance with the nondisclosure agreement mentioned above.

-----Original Message----- From: Seumas Rogan [mailto:seumasr@martynia.hrp.arizona.edu] Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 4:38 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: delete variables within syntax?

Hi -

I would like to delete variables from an open spss .sav file using syntax without having to save, close and re-open the file. If you are familiar with STATA, this would be equivalent to the 'drop varname(s)' command.

That is, I wonder if there is a way to 'drop' variables (much as we can drop cases by specifying a filter criterion) without saving the file using a '/drop' or '/keep' argument?

Thanks for any help!

SR