Date:         Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:07:01 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Peck, Jon" <peck@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: exporting output from syntax command
Comments: To: Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>

You have control over the line drawing in the draft Viewer through Preferences. You can set it to use the special line-drawing characters or to use regular characters, and you can specify what those characters should be.

HTH

-----Original Message----- From: Richard Ristow [mailto:wrristow@mindspring.com] Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 8:29 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: [SPSSX-L] exporting output from syntax command

At 07:14 PM 10/28/2002 -0500, Raynald Levesque wrote:

>In order to save the output as a text file, readable by Wordpad: >- Generate your output using the Draft Output window instead of the >Output window. >- save the Output file as a rtf type.

I do this quite a lot myself, and the RTF opens and prints nicely in Microsoft Word (97). It doesn't export to text as well, though. The box-boundary characters (for, say, FREQUENCIES or CROSSTABS output) use a special SPSS-specific font, and are translated to question marks in a text output file.

Does anyone have a Word macro, or other tool, to change the SPSS box-boundary characters to standard ASCII? It needn't be fancy; "-" for horizontal line, "|" for vertical, and "+" for corners is plenty good enough.

-Thanks, Richard