Date:         Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:53:21 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Patricia Cleland <Patricia.Cleland@eqao.com>
Subject:      Problems selecting a random sample of cases

I'm trying to debug some syntax. Rather than use the full data set of more than 300,000 records, I want to select a random sample of 6% of the data (first saving the original file under a new name) and delete the unselected cases.

I used the point-click-paste method to generate the syntax below:

FILTER OFF. USE ALL. SAMPLE .06. EXECUTE .

When I run it, I don't get any error messages but I still have all 337,000 cases. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I'm using 11.5.

TIA

Pat

-------------------------------------------------------------- Patricia Cleland, Assessment Officer, Data and Operations Unit, Education Quality and Accountability Office Suite 1200, 2 Carlton Street, Toronto, Ontario M5B 2M9

phone:416-314-7950 fax: 416-325-6622 email: patricia.cleland@eqao.com