Date:         Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:16:42 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Marks, Jim" <jim.marks@lodgenet.com>
Subject:      Re: Why does (missing value) multiplied by zero = zero?

Does this help?

** original data-- one case changed to q = 9999 and type = 1. DATA LIST LIST /TYPE Q. BEGIN DATA 1 25 1 2 1 0 1 9999 1 17 2 9999 2 26 2 9999 2 0 2 18 END DATA. LIST. MISSING VALUES Q (9999).

** new syntax. COMPUTE qa = q. DO IF type = 1. RECODE qa (SYSMIS = -9). ELSE. RECODE qa (ELSE = SYSMIS). END IF.

COMPUTE qb = q. DO IF type = 2. RECODE qb (SYSMIS = -9). ELSE. RECODE qb (ELSE = SYSMIS). END IF.

LIST.

HTH

Jim Marks Senior Market Analyst LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation 605.988.1616

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication (including any attached files) is intended for the entity to which it is directed and may contain confidential and proprietary information of LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation. The communication is provided under the terms of the nondisclosure agreement between LodgeNet and the intended recipient. If you are not acting solely on behalf of the intended recipient with respect to the receipt of this communication, you are not authorized to receive, retain, print or forward this communication. In that event, you are directed to destroy this communication (including any attached files), and to advise ipmanager@lodgenet.com that you received this communication in error. If you are authorized to receive this communication on behalf of the intended recipient, you are obligated to treat it as confidential and proprietary information of LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation, in accordance with the nondisclosure agreement mentioned above.

-----Original Message----- From: Andrew Fenyo [mailto:A.J.Fenyo@ukc.ac.uk] Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 11:27 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Why does (missing value) multiplied by zero = zero?

Folks,

I have been tearing my hair out, but I cannot see what I am doing wrong!

I have a variable Q and a category TYPE. I need to create two new variables (QA and QB) which take the value of Q or MISSING depending on TYPE. It works fine EXCEPT when Q is zero: then I get both QA and QB set to zero.

I have probably overlooked something very simple, but any suggestions would be most welcome.

Here is a sample and the syntax:

DATA LIST LIST /TYPE Q. BEGIN DATA 1 25 1 2 1 0 1 6 1 17 2 6 2 26 2 9999 2 0 2 18 END DATA. LIST. MISSING VALUES Q (9999). COMPUTE ATYPE=2-TYPE. COMPUTE BTYPE=1-ATYPE. MISSING VALUES ATYPE BTYPE (0). LIST. DO IF MISSING (Q). COMPUTE QA=-9. COMPUTE QB=-9. ELSE. COMPUTE QA=Q*ATYPE. COMPUTE QB=Q*BTYPE. END IF. MISSING VALUES QA QB (-9). LIST.

============================== Andrew Fenyo, Senior Computing Officer Personal Social Services Research Unit University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF Voice: 01227 827610 Fax: 01227 827038 PSSRU: http://www.ukc.ac.uk/PSSRU