Date:         Sun, 6 Oct 2002 16:57:04 +0100
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Lee Williamson <lee.williamson@stud.man.ac.uk>
Subject:      Query: fitting curves to age-specific fertility rates

Hello list, I am a complete newbie to lists and also not that familiar with SPSS syntax, although I am comfortable with click & point SPSS from my undergraduate degree and masters. Currently I am a research student in the first year of my PhD.

Just now I am looking at fertility and will be fitting curves to age-specific fertility rates. My first attempt will be using the Hadwiger distribution (Hadwiger, 1940) and was wondering if anyone on the list has previously used it to fit fertility, or any other methods to fit the fertility curve, such as the Pearson type 1 and 3 or cubic splines. I understand that this may not be the correct place to ask questions of this nature and would appreciate any emails privately with any hints or comments. I have acquired a sample syntax code for the Hadwiger function written for an old version of SPSS and would feel more confident communicating with, or checking the syntax with, someone who has previous experience using it.

Thanks any input is appreciated (& sorry if the query is not appropriate for the list)

Lee Emma Williamson

Office number (0161) 275 7025