Date:         Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:15:20 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Geoff Matthews <geoff.matthews@waterford.org>
Subject:      Changing letter case and merging files

I have a few questions:

1) I am working with two data files that have matching variables. One of the files has the variables all in caps (string variable, of course), I'd like to change this to all lower-case. Any suggestions?

2) I also want to merge these two files, and here's where a real problem arises. I do not have a unique identifier for each case (students, in this instance). So, I want to match students on first name, last name and school. All attempts thus far have been hung up on the second case, with the claim that the file is not in non-descending order. I've repeatedly tried to change this. Case sensitivity may be part of the problem (thus, question #1), but in case it isn't, any other suggestions?

Thank-you,

Geoff Matthews Data Analyst Waterford Institute 801-576-4924 geoff.matthews@waterford.org ICQ #166775292