Date:         Mon, 7 Oct 2002 19:07:46 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ben Earnhart <bearnhar@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject:      Re: Moderator variables
Comments: To: Susan Crawford <Susan.Crawford@calgaryhealthregion.ca>

I googled for you ( http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=mediator+vs%2E+moderator+variable ) and came up with some pretty helpful stuff. Basically, the way I understand it, if it's a moderator, then you use the interaction term, as one variable conditions the effect of the other; with a mediator, you do two models to see if the effect of x1 goes to zero when controlling for x2, or better yet, use a SEM.

I'd think that the person would really want to clarify theoretically which approach to use a priori, before starting to model.

At 05:45 PM 10/7/2002 -0600, Susan Crawford wrote: >Hi, everyone. > >One of our graduate students is trying to use a logistic regression >approach to determine whether or not parenting stress is a predictor of >attachment (secure or insecure) in children. She thinks that social >support will act as a buffer or moderating variable that may decrease >the effects of parenting stress. > >I'm not sure of what approach we should take here. Should we enter the >social support variable on the first step of the logistic regression, >followed by the three parenting stress scores on the second step? Or >should we be looking at interactions between the parenting stress scores >and social support? > >I'm getting confused on the issue of whether or not to consider social >support as a mediator variable or a moderator variable. > >Many thanks for your help. > >-- >Susan Crawford, M.Sc. >Research Coordinator >Behavioural Research Unit >Alberta Children's Hospital

*======================================================= *Ben Earnhart *Computer Consultant and ICPSR Data Assistant *Department of Sociology and College of Liberal Arts *University of Iowa *(319) 335-2887 *bearnhar@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu *=======================================================;