Date:         Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:23:07 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mark Davenport <madavenp@OFFICE.UNCG.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Syntax reference guide for 10 and 11
Comments: To: Mark.Casazza@domino1.cuny.edu

I bought one a few months ago from SPSS. The problem is their website. It appears to contain a lot of 'hidden' passages.

http://www.spss.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=25&ObjectGroup_ID=95&CATID=15

Look toward the bottom of the webpage. They should be current through Version 11 but I would ask the friendly folks at SPSS before you drop $99 per book (yes, it's a 2 vol. set).

Regards,

Mark

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Mark A. Davenport Ph.D. Asst to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs/Research and Evaluation The University of North Carolina at Greensboro 149 Mossman Bldg. Greensboro, NC 27402-6170 336.334.5099 madavenp@office.uncg.edu

'An approximate answer to the right problem is worth a good deal more than an exact answer to an approximate problem' -- J. W. Tukey

>>> Mark Casazza <Mark.Casazza@DOMINO1.CUNY.EDU> 10/8/2002 1:09:40 PM >>> Hi Gene,

FWIW, I couldn't find a listing for the version 10 or 11 syntax reference manual either. I know they used to make it for version 10, I've got one at home--maybe they ran out. I did see that they still have copies of the version 9 manual. There really isn't much difference between them, but the $49 price tag is excessive for a manual that is 4 versions out of date--I've heard that SPSS Version 12 will be available by the end of the year.

If you really need a version 10 manual, let me know and I'll see if I can dig up an extra copy lying about.

Regards, Mark

Mark V. Casazza Director of Academic Information The City University of New York 555 W. 57th St. Suite 1240 New York, NY 10019

phone: 212.541.0396 fax: 212.541.0392 email: Mark.Casazza@mail.cuny.edu

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of emaguin@acsu.buffalo.edu Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 12:46 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Syntax reference guide for 10 and 11

All,

A coworker just told me that he can't find a copy of the syntax reference book for either 10 or 11 for sale at the spss website. I remember that recently there was a impassioned series of postings about the documentation. But i don't remember anything about the specifics.

So does spss no longer publish the syntax reference as a separately purchasable book? Second, is it now spss' expectation that persons wanting a paper version of the syntax reference will now print it and bind it themselves?

(I don't want to reignite the previous discussion so, please, a short answer)

Thanks, Gene Maguin